Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Dadmaster Bistro #2: Fiesta Chicken Kiev

Let's get cooking!
     Once again, I have taken the challenge of cooking a meal using only the microwave? Why? Because I used to be incredibly lazy. My idea of a meal was a quick quesadilla and two packs of ramen noodles. All in the microwave. I'm not going to say that these skills were at all unique. But are they useful? Yes. And I'm proving it AGAIN.

     So, once again, we return to "The Microwave Guide & Cookbook", an ancient tome that still refers to this household device as a "microwave oven" and tells you to use a "power level" that is not just the highest setting. (Which is probably somewhere upwards of NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!! "What, 9000?!" )
Let's cook
Fiesta Chicken Kiev!
Isn't Kiev the capital of Ukraine?

     This was gonna be good.  Because it seemed a little lacking in veggies, I made a nice salad to go along with it, with hardboiled eggs.  "But Woody," I hear you saying ALL THE WAY FROM WHEREVER I AM RIGHT NOW, "I thought you were only allowed to use the microwave!  And now you're saying you hardboiled eggs?"
     Yep.  10 minutes on high, covered in water, with a tablespoon of salt.  Let sit 2 minutes, put in cold water, and peel.  HARDBOILED EGGS IN THE MICROWAVE WHAT NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW???



*~*~*~*~*~*
The Recipe:
So, looking at this recipe, it calls for monosodium glutamate. Apparently, it hadn't fallen out of fashion to call for this questionable ingredient. Luckily, I just so happened to have some "steak seasoning", where the first two ingredients are salt and msg!





*~*~*~*~*~*
The Result:
I know. It looks ugly as sin. I know. This is just a picture of the leftovers. But trust me, it didn't matter. The entire dish resembled orange lumps with lumps on them.
So, cooking meat in the microwave makes me nervous. Especially thick meat. Especially chicken. But I checked it several times, just to make sure that I wasn't going to foodally poison Jessi and myself.
Also, if you haven't crumbled Cheez-its (or some generic version of it) on chicken, you are missing out. This is a strategy that I knew about in college. Oh yeah.
But!  How did it taste???


*~*~*~*~*~*
The Reaction:
     This time, I was unable to hide the fact that the chicken was cooked in the microwave. "This is completely ridiculous," Jessi started, but finished with, "but this is really good."
     The hardboiled eggs also turned out perfectly. I know, I know, I'm not sure it counts as boiling them either. But in the microwave, it's timed for you! You don't need to worry that you might accidentally forget about them and ruin your college roommate's saucepan by boiling away the water and cooking incredibly hard hard-boiled eggs in their shell! (Sorry, Curtis!)


What say you, old picture of Bachelor Woody?



No comments:

Post a Comment